Lóczy Cave, Balatonfüred
The cave which was found in 1882 on the western side of the Tamás Hill and was opened to the public in 1934 is located on the outskirts of the town. The spectacular middle Triassic limestone layers, displaced from their horizontal formation by the impact of mountain-forming forces, hide this strictly protected cave, created by erosion of the limestone by warm waters gushing up from the deep. The dissolving process left cauldron shaped forms and occasionally still visible pea-stones as a reminder of the circumstances surrounding the formation of the cave.
The temperature in the cave is cca. +12 °C.
It takes about 30 minutes to visit the cave with our guide. Maximum 25 people can visit the cave at the same time. Groups of more than 25 people will be divided into smaller groups that can visit the cave in several turns. Groups of more than 25 people that make a previous booking are given priority when visiting the cave.
It is not allowed to take dogs in the Lóczy Cave.
The area of the Bakony–Balaton Geopark includes this exhibition site and its surrounding as well.