Lavender House Visitor Centre, Tihany
Due to technical reasons the Lavender House Visitor Centre is closed on June 23. between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
The Lavender House Visitor Centre – the Eastern gate of the Bakony–Balaton Geopark – presents Tihany Peninsula in a way that provides special entertainment for young and old alike. The Lavender House also serves as the visitor centre of the European Diploma Awarded Volcanic Area of Tihany. The once raging fire of the volcanoes and the harmony of the landscape that was shaped as a result of it is interpreted in the visitor centre by a short, spectacular film (also available in English) and by an interactive exhibition (with English interpretive boards). We will show you the centuries-long co-existence of people and nature along with the emblematic culture that developed from it: lavender production.
Services of the Visitor Centre:
- Dance of the bees room – Detailed information about and program recommendations for Tihany Peninsula, the Balaton Uplands National Park and the Bakony–Balaton Geopark.
- Herbal medicine – Souvenir shop: Products of and about nature. Many local products sold here celebrate the beauty, the fragrance and the flavour of lavender!
- Activity room – The premises of special activities: about nature – not for kids only. Handicrafts activities, presentations.
- A glimpse of Tihany – The park of the visitor center offers several other programs and games from a maze to a lavender garden, from a belvedere to a walkway that introduces you to the living creatures of the reeds.
- Tea House – Charming catering.
- Magical Hungary – The 116 best photos of the Magical Hungary photo contest can be seen in the Lavender House Visitor Centre at every hour, projected in the projection room. Only here in Hungary! The projected photos reflect excellently the outstanding diversity of the flora and fauna of the national parks in Hungary. They also prove that Hungarian nature photographers are able to show our natural heritage at world class level.
It is not allowed to take dogs to the Lavender House Visitor Centre.
The area of the Bakony–Balaton Geopark includes this exhibition site and its surrounding as well.